The decision to dissolve the troubled region was taken at a meeting of the Provincial Executive Committee and comes in the wake of a string of court cases by disgruntled party members from the region. At least one source was able to confirm the provincial meeting and the decision taken.
“The decision was taken on the basis that the REC’s term had elapsed,” said a PEC member who wanted to remain anonymous.
The dissolution of the REC was one of the demands that were placed before an ANC NEC delegation by disgruntled party members last week who called for the establishment of a Regional Task Team (RTT). The makeup of the RTT is set to be announced by the Provincial Interim Committee this week.
Also read: Hadebe breaks silence
The structure is expected to make preparations for the regional conference that was initially set to be held this month.
Mtuza Mkhize, who has been one of the leading figures in calling for the dissolution of REC, also confirmed the move and said they were awaiting direction from both the provincial and national structures.
“We cannot say that the RTT will not work until we see its make up,”said Mkhize.
It has also been suggested that the provincial elective conference that was set to take place on the first weekend of June has been shifted for the weekend of June 8 – 10.
Attempts to obtain comment from Provincial Task Team Convener Mike Mabuyakhulu and Task Team Co-ordinator Sihle Zikalala were unsuccessful as they were said to be at a meeting in the Harry Gwala region on Wednesday to deal with some of the disputes facing the region.
Moses Mabhida Regional Secretary Mzi Zuma was also not available despite repeated attempts for comment.